Tuesday, December 05, 2006

As I sat in my new church community, listening to Pastor Wong preach from the vantage point of Moses atop Mount Nebo on the peak of Pisgah (Deuternomy 32), my mind wondered to the years past and my journey and failures and what I had accomplished and what I had to show for……in my physical eye......... (and in the eyes of others around me) nothing much…...

I returned in 1992, after being away overseas for 5 years. The first Sunday back at the home church, there was an embarrasing public squabble between the pastor and the church board. It was masked in “prophecies” and in the sermon. This finally led to the ouster of the head pastor and confirmed my thoughts of "organized church" and its unattractiveness.

My involvement with a church group while overseas shifted a lot of my theology as I began to find through scriptures, Biblical support for much of what I had based my Christianity on. The most major of which was probably in my Sophomore year in college when a doctorate student from our little house fellowship committed suicide. He was manic depressive. The Lord assured me of his salvation and after much wrestling with scriptures, I was assured of my salvation and that because I was saved by grace through faith in Him, I could not lose my salvation. If it (salvation) did not depend on me (or my wisdom) in the first place, then how can it depend on me (to lose my salvation). I was delighted and have since celebrated in worship everyday for my freedom in Christ.

The second most drastic shift was in the way leaders and pastors were raised within the church. Pastors were recognized within churches because of their faithfulness to the Word and their character. That was a major change in my thinking as I grew up in a church organization that ordained pastors after a seminary degree. Many of my peers went into seminary and later ordained as pastors straight after Form 6.

With this excitement and zeal and the unattractiveness of fomal church, I began to start a Bible study group. Many of whom were those who had fallen out from the church squabble. Soon, leaders from Singapore who were affiliated with the group I was with in the US, came to Malaysia to start a church based on the house church model. We grew and in the 12 years we saw many come to the Lord as a result.

12 years on, I am sitting at this Presbyterian Church in the suburb of Subang pondering at what may seem to be the funeral of my dreams. Paul Tripp in "Lost in the Middle"outlines several traps that easily ensnare us at the funeral of our dreams:

1) The envy trap –“ It is easy to notice those who have are successful. It is easy to be captured by envy, that somehow God had gotten the wrong address.”

I thought we had the right formula, we were sincere, probably more so than the mega church leaders around – but yet we “failed.”

“Envy destroys 2 great commands: 1) Destroys loving worship of God. Envy debates His wisdom, doubts His sovereignty, and questions His love.” It accuses God of failing to be the wise Father that He promised to be. “

Although I was not consumed with envy, I did question “why” and failed to see this, not as a failure but as God’s sovereign plan to move on to a new vision for myself, for the other leaders and the church members. I failed to trust God and to have an attitude like Moses who realized his time was up and he was not going in to the promise land. Moses in Deut 33, recited blessings for each tribe....
......To be continued...................

3 comments:

Every Square Inch said...

"I thought we had the right formula, we were sincere, probably more so than the mega church leaders around – but yet we “failed.”

I think you cannot think of ministry as success/failure or of a successful formula.

1. Success/failure trap - means that we are always measuring performance, outcomes, etc... is that how God intended for ministry to be done? I don't think so...the focus needs to be on faithfulness. Evaluations for improvement are useful but only that we'll more effectively serve.

2. Formula trap - if we can decode the formula for success...would we need God for "successful" ministry? If God isn't absolutely essential to the ministry - why bother? If everything can be boiled down to the right attitude, right structure, right strategy, etc... what's the difference between a church and a business? The difference is that the church is where God dwells and manifests himself on earth.

I don't want to pick apart your words...just wanted to make these points. Perhaps you'll find them helpful.

Meng said...

Precisely. You are right and that is where the dream consumes. It doesn't happen at a point in time but a gradual slipping.
I think this is what I was struglling with this last year - making sense of the last 12 years and God had to work in me. To help me see that its not a "failure". If anything, the Lord has taught me to be patient and that the joy is in the journey!

Dave said...

Maybe u could still pursue ur dreams for the Kingdom IN an organised church setting? :)

I still havent given up my dreams even after years of being a church hopping nomad, and now settling at CDPC hehehe